Drinking Soda

 About a week before my first husband died, he mentioned 2 specific things one day:
1.  He told me that I should not ever have to do any dishes again.  That the boys were old enough to completely take that task over.


2.  He also said he didn't want the boys to ever drink soda again.  This was a bit odd being HE was the only one in the house who drank soda on a regular basis.  But he had done a study on it, and discovered it caused leg cramps (which he had), among many other health issues.


 So yesterday I came across this blog post by Dr. Stan Gardner, who often writes for the LDS publication Meridian:

"Do cola drinks affect calcium in women?
All soft drinks use a phosphate buffer so the carbon dioxide does not become carbonic acid in the drink.
Carbonic acid is so toxic that it would stop people from drinking pop immediately. When phosphorus is absorbed into the body, the body matches that phosphorus with calcium, which has to come from your bones (where 98% of all calcium is in your body).
So, any soda pop, including cola drinks, will affect calcium in the body, and will be taken from the bones. This contributes to osteopenia and osteoporosis. Because women have a smaller bone structure compared to men, this hurts women earlier than it does men.
The other problems with soda pop include:
  • 1. sweetener (the only thing worse than sugar is aspartame as a pro-inflammatory trigger)
  • 2. acidity (which viruses, bacteria and cancer cells in the body like)
  • 3. caffeine, which is pro-inflammatory, addictive, a diuretic, stimulant.
The major drink we should have is water, which may be flavored with lemons or limes."

8 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

Amen Jill. Thanks for putting this up. I don't drink soda either. I just didn't like it that much. I am glad I made a good choice.

Dad and Susan said...

Does she know those lemons will pollute her water? Love, Dad and Susan

Grandma Honey said...

Only if you don't wash them first.

Ha! You 2 are good!!! :)

Mary said...

I knew there was a reason I've never cared for soda! I'm one of those mean moms who never allows soda in the house. On extremely rare occasions I'll let the kids order one in a restaurant, but 9 times out of 10 we all order water. Now when they complain I'll simply explain that I'm saving their bones!

Grandmotherfairy said...

I love plain old water...no flavor...no fizz...just give it to me cold and straight up!

Grandma Honey said...

I'm with you Grandmother Fairy. I like it plain and cold, nothing added. It's the best drink ever.

Susan Anderson said...

I've never been a big soda fan, but some of the members of my family are definitely addicted.

"/

Heather said...

So interesting that you should blog on this, because Jared and I have recently given up soda. Surprisingly, he has had a much easier time than I, even though he was drinking several a day and I was only drinking one a day. Whenever I cheat and have a soda, I regret it though. It does not make my stomach feel good. I love ice water!

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...