The Ungame

McKay called from Provo yesterday morning and said he and 3 of his friends were going to Disneyland today, and then would like to come here to see us for a day or so. They should be arriving between 1 and 2am Sunday morning... about 2 hours from now.

I have the day planned.
Waffles, eggs, sausage, and OJ for breakfast.
Then church.
Then Brock and Erin and their girls will meet McKay and his 3 friends, and us all here for dinner. (Amy and Logan are camping again...we will miss them!)

Then, little do they know, we will all play this:I have been loving this game since the 70s.

We use to play this when my boys were young teenagers, and even before. Elora played it with us last time and she is only 6.

My boys always say they don't want to play it, but they do anyway and we always have a good time...at least I think so.

I just have the small version now...all it has is cards. We just take turns going around the room, taking a card and answering the question on it. I always learn all sorts of things about my sons, and their friends. And we laugh, a lot.

Questions like:

*Say something about dreaming at night.
*Tell about something you would like to accomplish in the coming year.
*How do you act when you are angry?
*How do you react when someone crowds in line in front of you? Why?
*What was the best year of your life? Why?
*How do you feel about the rules in your family?
*What do you think about sarcastic remarks?
*Give your description of an ideal family.
*Share a funny thing that happened when you were a child.

I love all the conversation that it starts.

(I couldn't find my Ungame when Karen (Tyler's wife) first came to meet our family so we played a different version of this game. I didn't realize it had this part in the game where Karen would end up having so say something good about each of us individually, and she had just met us!! She was a really good sport about it. And she seems to like us...I hope.)

The Ungame is much better.

I'll report back how it goes.
They may all veto my idea from the beginning.

14 comments:

Mary said...

I actually used to play the board version of this game with my English students for many years. It's a good way to practice public speaking and develop expressive language/vocabulary skills!

Grandma Honey said...

Well there you have it...you're a teacher, you know. Good it's not just me who likes this game.

I read tonight for the first time the history behind this game. It was created by a Mom who could not talk for several months. So she had lots of time to think about communication. She wrote down all the questions she wished people would ask her and all the questions she wanted to ask them. She use to play the game by writing down her answers...until she was able to talk again. She soon began making handmade games for friends, and then eventually had it mass produced in 1972, when she realized what remarkable things were happening in families as they were enjoying communicating via her game.

Dad and Susan said...

How fun to get to see McKay again. And to meet his friends. We'll stop by after our trek to Shepards. You're doing all that cooking and entertaining on your walking cast? Hope that'll be all right for your BROKEN foot! Love, Dad and Susan

Karen Mortensen said...

That's neat that you get to see McKay. Hope you have a great visit. I hope Ashley knows he is there. She told me she loves Mckay. (they are cousins) That game sounds fun.

Krista Gage said...

That "Ungame" sounds like my kind of game. I would rather talk then play a game most of the time. Sounds like a great blend of the two. Have fun with your family!!! That is where it's at!!!!!!!

Grandma Honey said...

Krista....I agree, I would always rather talk than play a game. I don't think my boys have one memory of me sitting through one game. I just don't have what it takes to focus and be quiet. The Ungame is totally different.

Susan, Dennis is helping me a lot, and I am getting around well on this cast. Thanks for worrying about me!

Karen...One of these friends McKay brought is someone Ashley has gone out with. The other 2 are girls.

the Rich girl said...

Hahaha. Oh Jill-- I'm very excited to see how this game turns out. My guess is that Joe's answers will be the best.

Tyler and I are super jealous that we aren't there, too!

And I do like you all, very much!!

Hope everyone has fun!!

Grandma Honey said...

Karen...We wish you and Tyler were here too!!

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

Sounds like a fun game. I'll have to check it out the next time my family is altogether.

Rebecca said...

I need to get this game, it looks fun.

Eileen said...

I've never heard of this game but it sounds like something I would love!
We usually do 'game night' on either a Friday or Saturday night once the pool is closed up, and other than this one guessing game we play, I don't really enjoy games (other than Pictionary, Boggle, Scrabble, but those are not crowd games), so this one is something I'd like to try with the family, and I know it's something my girlfriends would like (we get together once in awhile and play the word games). I'm definitely going to suggest this one!
Thanks, Jill!

'Glad to hear you are not letting the foot slow you down! But don't overdo it! Take care.
Enjoy your company!
All the best,
Eileen

Richard said...

McKay must really like his family to stop in Clovis on a trip to Disneyland...unless of course his math abilities don't include basic geometry.

Lisa said...

Life couldn't be better than going to Disneyland, eating a "dream" breakfast & playing the Ungame with Grandma Honey! What a lucky bunch ya'll are! Don't forget to fill us in! I'm gonna use these ideas for my Primary kids next Sunday so thanks for the tip!

grandmapeg said...

I am not familiar with this game but it sounds very interesting and fun. I can hardly wait to hear the results of your night with McKay and his friends! Oh..to be that young again when you can take all of that long distance driving in such little time and still be able to function!

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...