Organizing Kids' clothes

I found this on the Wilkinson Quintuplet blog.
What a great sounding idea, so I thought I'd pass it on.


"Getting my kids to keep their drawers organized has always been a constant struggle. Every laundry day, I would help them put their clothes away in neat stacks, but within a few days, they would be back to looking like a tornado had passed through. The problem was that they would decide they wanted to wear a shirt or pair of pants that was in the middle of the stack, but pulling it out would mess up the rest of the clothes.


I tried several things, but nothing was working. Then, on my mom's last visit, she told me about something that my brother's wife, Stephanie, does with her kids drawers. Instead of putting the clothes into the drawers in stacks, she turns the folded clothes so they go into the drawer sideways. This way, all of the clothes in the drawer can easily been seen and taking one item out does not mess up all the others. It is BRILLIANT! I have been using this system now for about three months and I love it!
Kaiya's shirt drawer. I fold the shirts into thirds so that they fit vertically in the drawer.


Riley's shorts and jammie drawer. Riley's drawers are not as deep as Kaiya's so I have to fold his shorts into thirds and shirts into fourths so that they fit.



Kaiya's pants drawer. Instead of folding the pants small, I fold them in half and lay them sideways.


Riley with his shirt drawer. Riley got the organizing gene from me, so he is very happy with the new system.




Kaiya did not get the organizing gene, but she is happy that I no longer have to get upset about her drawers!!"

12 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

I love this. Anything to do with organizing I just love anyway.

Rebecca said...

WOW!!!! Great idea. I am going to do this with Jake. We have the same issues. Never can find his clothes, mess, etc. Thank you!!!

Grandma Honey said...

Please let me know if it works Rebecca. I don't think my sons had as many clothes that are shown in the pictures above...so I wonder if it would have worked for us. But it sure looks good.

The Gage Cage said...

That is WAY TOO COOL!!!!!

grandmapeg said...

Wow! This is called ORGANIZATION! I wished I would have known about this when my kids were little. Thanks for sharing. I just might pass it on to my kids.

Susan Anderson said...

Brilliant idea, one which I will be sharing with my DIL, who gets frustrated with trying to keep the drawers of her three little ones tidy.

Thanks!

=)

threelittlebackseatdrivers.blogspot.com said...

Great Idea!!!!!

Kris said...

That is absolutely brilliant! I've got to try this with my kids. Thanks for sharing Jill!

Valerie said...

I never thought of doing it that way, but it seems much better. My kids won't keep it that way for long, but at least they can see their clothes better for a while. Thanks!

Eileen said...

Oh, Jill, I feel so out of it, I've missed so many of your posts! I'll have to go back and read them all.

This one is great, and not only will I be using it for my grandson's clothes, but I'm going to use it for my own dresser drawers too!
Thanks for posting this!

Erin Brady said...

My husband does this with his T-shirts and other garments ... it's a really great system!

kelly said...

Thaank you so much! I am going to do this very soon, we have the same problem.

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...