The Older side of life


As Dennis was parking the car last Wednesday evening, I stepped inside a bit late for the choir concert at the retirement home.

I was greeted by a very nicely dressed woman who looked to be in her 70s., who said to me,
"Are you waiting for your driver?"

"Uh, yes" ( I guess Den could be called my driver.)

"When he gets here, just go all the way in the back to find a place to sit."
Then I noticed this same woman turning to give a program to an elderly gentlemen, the only other person in the lobby.

She turned back to me and said,
"Are you waiting for your driver?"


"Yes"

"When he gets here, just go all the way in the back to find a place to sit."

And so we had entered the land of short term memory loss...


Oh how I love older people.
Especially ones who can't remember much.
They need us.

I was so impressed with Yosemite Gardens.
It's a happy, clean, engaging place.
Den and I wouldn't mind at all living there someday.....
many somedays from now!
We don't want to rush things.

All the rockers lined up outside. They were empty tonight perhaps because of the recital inside.
Gourmet desserts for after the performance
And no, that is not me taking a sample.
I went back this morning to take more pictures, in case you have never seen this place and are curious.

The Dining area where chefs prepare meals 3xs a day.


Today's menu
The tables all set for lunch today although they don't call it lunch. It's dinner. Supper is at 5pm.

Lovely decor throughout

Sitting areas through out also

A TV room with several couches across from it. I was told this is where they gather to watch old movies. Some days however, it is kept on, like the day Michael Jackson died. Wonder what they all had to say about that!

A full calendar of activities

Back to last Wednesday evening...

The lady in the middle. Listen to her as she takes the microphone.
Her voice melts my heart every time. I had to move my chair up close to capture this, so that put Dennis behind me. I looked back at him while they were singing and he kept winking at me. That means he liked it, too. It also means he likes me.

Below is a tiny clip of my new friend, sweet Norma.
She is the reason we went there last night...to see her. (Her son Tim and his wife Mollie are in our ward at church.) Norma is the woman seated to the very left, front row.

14 comments:

Mary said...

We have an assisted living center just a mile or so from my house. It's beautiful, elegant even, with the apartments overlooking a picturesque pond. I've already told my kids they can move me there when the time comes that I shouldn't be living alone. If I live that long! :)

Grandma Honey said...

Actually, the way I understand it, this is not an assisted living place. They have to be able to take care of themselves as far as eating, dressing, bathing, taking meds, etc.

grandmapeg said...

What a beautiful place...outside and inside!! Those ladies sang so beautifully. I love that song!!! Craig's aunt lived in an assisted living place near the Jordan River Temple. One side was for those who were able to take care of themselves and the other side was for those who needed assistance. It is just like this place of yours, very beautiful and elegant. Thanks for sharing!

grandmapeg said...

Jill...I just fixed the Chicken Lo Mein dish for dinner and Craig and I give you and Amy a big THANK YOU!! It is delicious!!!!!! Definitely two thumbs up! Thanks again for sharing it.

Dad and Susan said...

You are an angel Jill. Your creativity and scope of interests are amazing. Love, Dad and Susan

Richard said...

I'll bet GrandmaPeg knew not to saute the veggies in the soy sauce or use too much peanut butter. Someone must have warned her.
I like the menus and eating times at Yosemite Gardens, but I didn't see any man caves with big screen HD tv...that's probably awaiting your generation. I look forward to visiting you there.

Karen Mortensen said...

I am glad they have places like this for people. My grandmother lived in a place like that and it was great for her.

Eileen said...

This was a beautiful post! I enjoyed it all!
The home is beautiful as are the residents!

I'll be making the Lo Mein dish on Sunday! It sounds like somebody else also gave it a rave review, I'll let you know how mine turns out! I think Ray will love it!
Take care.
All the best,
Eileen

threelittlebackseatdrivers.blogspot.com said...

Awww...I loved this post! ;) I think retirement facilities have a different stigma with the older generations...my grandparents wouldn't ever want to go to a place like this...Luke and I have talked how much we would welcome it...to always have people around to chat with, the beautiful interiors, the yummy food, all the ammenities (what grandkid wouldn't want to explore in a place like this with that tv!!!)...I agree, this place is awesome! I hope my future kids put me someplace like this when I am old...I don't want to be in a home all by myself when there is friendship and excitement and fun in a place like this! ;)

Grandma Honey said...

That's exactly how I see it Nat. It was such a happy place. The few times I've gone there all the residents I see just seem so content. They rave about the food too. One man today told me that when he moved there a year ago he weighed 137 and now he weighs 210 because the food is so good.

Susan Anderson said...

Looks like a wonderful place, and I loved the video of them singing.

=)

Lisa said...

I'm impressed! I've only seen sterile hospital like places for the elderly so to see this...I was really really impressed. The elderly deserve to be in an INVItiNG environment. How nice that you went to see Tim's mom's performance. Very cool. I liked this post a lot!

Dale Wengler said...

Thanks for the video clip! Norma is my Grandma. I loved seeing her in action! Thanks for being her friend.

Ronnell said...

Jill, this is identical to the place my Mom lived in when she was in Tallahassee. The same floor plan and everything. Must be owned by the same company. Even the dining room and furniture are identical. The one in Tallahassee is called Cherry Laurel.

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...