Reflections of Family Camp

As I wrote a few days ago, Hailey is at Family Camp. This is a large group of several families (not all related to us...but many are) who plan all year to meet at this campsite. There are cabins with beds, and a large kitchen where 2 cooks make all the food. The families take turns organizing crafts, etc for the kids. Each night they have 2 campfires...one early one for the families, and a later one for just the adults and kids over age 12. There is always someone to talk to, and something to do. I spent every summer of my life growing up here beginning about age 7.

I found this picture from about 1980 taken at Family Camp, of my oldest son Brock with Hailey's mother Robin. And so the torch has been passed, once again, to the next generation.

The bowl cut was in style back then, can you tell?

I know Robin would have done anything to be with Hailey at camp right now. Hailey's dad is trying to make it up there to see her. I know she is surrounded by lots of family.

My daughter in law Amy is also up there which is a nice distraction from waiting and wondering if the In-vitro worked this time. (Not that she will quit wondering and waiting.) They will all get home on Saturday and then at 6am Monday morning Amy will be at the lab for the test. I just hope the lab does not lose her results like they did last time. Hopefully the suspense will not go on any longer than it has to.

Here is another Family Camp picture from the past. To the right are my youngest 2 sons, McKay and Tyler....taken about there about 8 years ago. I know they would both be there right now if they weren't attending BYU year round. See cousin Carly with the red handkerchief on her head? She is at Family camp this time with her husband and 3 kids! They came up from Panama.


Meanwhile, I am here with Elora.
She spent the night with us,
as her sister Cami needed a test at the children's hospital.

5 comments:

grandmapeg said...

These pictures are so fun to see since you've told me about family camp since I met you. I'm glad I finally got to see them. I'm waiting to see a picture of you at family camp! I'm sure these family camp trips made for real great memories!
Peggy

Anonymous said...

Dear Jill, Well, we just got home from Family Camp an now I know what everyone is talking about! What a great experience for kids and a nice reprieve for parents. We were there two days and one night. Hailey was there with all the other kids and seemed to love everything. She surely is a dream child--just getting along with everyone so well. She made a "Critter Container" as the craft and spent the rest of the day looking for a critter to put in it. She is adorable. Saw Amy and the kids too. Everyone having a ball. Love, Dad and Susan P.S. I am now a fan of Family Camp!!!

lindsay lark said...

I can't even tell you how much I wish I were sleeping in those barracks at Dinkey Creek right this very moment.

Nate and Julie said...

Amen to that Lindsay! Some of my best childhood memories are from family camp. I keep telling Nate that we need to go...maybe next year.

The Gage Cage said...

What fun memories! I NEED to try and camp at least one time next summer.

On a side note ...Elora is so remarkable and beautiful! Her parents and Grandma Honey are doing something right.

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...