How Firm a Foundation

Last Saturday night while we were in Rocklin we found a little LDS bookstore called Cover to Cover. Den and I usually like to find the LDS bookstores in any area we are visiting and with our GPS it is really easy now. I've been longing to purchase the new Mormon Tabernacle Choir CD of Called to Serve, and sure enough this store had it in stock.
The next day, as we were driving to church I put it on in the car. I went right to How Firm a Foundation. This has become one of my favorites now...ever since the morning my Mom passed away. As soon as I realized she had died I had to have music on. I reached for the remote and just turned on the stereo. We had been playing lots of hymns for her so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when the Mormon Tab came on. It sounded different to me this time. The music and words seem to engulf the entire room as I heard How Firm a Foundation. I heard the words in a way I hadn't quite heard them before.

Verse #3
Fear not, I am with thee; oh be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid.

I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,

Upheld by my righteous, upheld by my righteous,
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.

I looked at my mom lying there, already having passed into the next world. I realized more than ever before just how blessed I was to have been raised by her. Her goodness, her purity would be with her, and all of us, forever.

She gave us a firm foundation to build our lives upon. She lived every day of her life the way she believed. There was never any question to what she was about.

This song gives me much comfort now. We often play it on Sunday mornings, because it was a Sunday morning at 8am, she passed 16 months ago.

So last Sunday as the song filled our car, we drove up to this building
I took this picture from the car just as we were turning in to attend church. One of the reasons I love to attend other wards when we are out of town is the reminder it gives me of the spirit we can feel anywhere we are. We didn't know a soul there, yet we walked in and felt so at home, immediately.

We didn't know it till we opened the program that we were attending Roseville 7th ward. Didn't matter where we were, the church is the same. The program covers may be a little different but always with a similar message:



I am so thankful, beyond words that I can think of, that I have parents who taught me this gospel of love, and lived how they believed.
Listen to How Firm a Foundation.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is one of my favorite songs that "Mo-Tab" sings. I love it and it is a strength to me as well. I have that CD and that is one of the first songs I turn to (track #4 and #9 I Know that my redeemer lives!)
Ammy

grandmapeg said...

That is one of my most favorite songs since I was a young girl. This is also one of our favorite cds. It is such a nice fact that wherever we go we can find our church and feel at home there.
Peggy

Rebecca said...

This post made me cry! I love that song too! I just got that CD as well, and love it! Isn't music wonderful. I had not realized that it had not been that long ago your mother passed away! Thank you for sharing this story. Oh, and by the way.....this area you attended church, that is where my husband served his mission!

Anonymous said...

Dear Jill, I love hearing all the wonderful things about your mother. Sister Smithhart gave a beautiful tribute to her in Sacrament meeting on Sunday. She was recounting a trial she'd had (subject was enduring to the end) and she mentioned what an angel your mom was to her and her family during that difficult time in her life. I talked to her afterwards and she was so full of love for your mom. Everyone misses her I know. John said on Sunday that she was the kindest person he has ever known. Love, Susan

Kris said...

I love this song as well. Our stake young women were able to be a part of the choir for the General Young Women's meeting in SL a few months ago. This was one of the hymns they sang. It was unbelievable. "I’ll never, no never, no never forsake..." is a pretty powerful line that had the girls in tears by the time they came to the end of the song. Now,I'll never sing that hymn the same again without a swelling in my heart.

The Gage Cage said...

That is my FAVORITE hymn too!!!! I can always feel comfort, empowered and at peace when I sing it. It is my testimony in one song.

amyburb said...

My mother is a frequent shopper at Cover to Cover. She'll be glad to know you found "her store."

Look what happened last night

  Just a little pre-graduating gathering for our DIL Amy.... Not everyday a Mom of 7 and a Grandma of 7, graduates from college. It was not ...